Neil Patel SEO: 10 Articles That Will Turn You Into an Instant SEO Expert
Neil Patel is one of the most recognized online marketer in the world.
He has started 5 multi-million dollar online businesses and he's very active when it comes to blogging, content marketing and SEO.
He runs two blogs. Quicksprout.com where he shares articles on how to grow your business with content marketing and NeilPatel.com
His personal blog where he shares his journey to 100,000 visitors and now?
The website has gone past over 300,000 monthly visitors.
Neil owns much of his success to writing and publishing great and useful articles filled with insights on how to grow online businesses and yes, Consistency.
Neil is very consistent in publishing great articles.
In today's post we're going to examine ten out of many of his best and most shared post related to search engine optimization, blog growth tips and techniques.
The question now is, are you ready?
Neil's First article on his new shiny blog as far as September 30, 2014.
In this article Neil shares 7 not only theoretical but proven to work techniques he's used in growing one of his company blogs by 206% in just a short period of time.
These strategies include:
- Kindle Select 90-Day Traffic Plan
- How to create viral content
- How to create evergreen list posts
- Long-tail keyword domination
- Email traffic generation
- Twisted guest blogging
- Restructuring your posts
With these strategies Neil made growing his blog traffic by 206% dead simple. He also reveals several resources, stats and metrics that you need to pay attention to for all these to work well for you as it did for him.
You happen to be looking for ways to create viral contents? Scratch that, everybody wants to be able to do that, Neil explains how to do that thoroughly and it all starts from:
- Understanding your audience
- Using Buzzsumo to generate content ideas
- Then heading over to Use Ubersuggest to generate content ideas
- Then Generate content ideas from useful comments
If I were you and I haven't seen that post before? I'll go consume it right now.
If you're looking to learn how to do this the easy way without having to crack out thousands of $$$ then here's the one. This post from December 2014 explains exactly how to build not just backlinks but high quality backlinks in a scalable way.
Businesses are spending up to $10,000 to $50,000 per month on Link building according to Moz.
In this post Neil reveals several ways to get high quality websites to link back to you.
- Understanding what Google wants
- How to scale your link building efforts
- Keyword research and targeting
- How to earn editorial links
These four points are broken down massively and explained by over 4000 words.
Neil also shares an interesting case study of Danny Iny who used guest blogging to build links leading to the massive growth of his website traffic.
To wrap it up he also shares four amazing tips on getting trusted links with blog commenting. They are:
- Search for blogs with the dofollow CommentLuv plugin installed.
- Subscribe to post updates for at least 5 blogs.
- Speed matters. Once you get an alert that a new post has been published, quickly read the post (if it’s a long one, read the first two paragraphs, and then the last part to get the main points).
- Write a valuable comment. Avoid comments like, ‘nice post’, ‘awesome write up’ or ‘this post helped me.’
Honestly this post is filled with tons of good stuff and it still remains one of the best Neil has ever written.
Mere looking at the title, It explains a lot. Everybody wants to do this. Lift rankings without getting penalized. Well lets see what Neil has to say about how to do this.
One of the reasons why Neil is so good at what he does is the fact that he makes complex stuff look ridiculously easy by either making them step by step guides or complete guides.
Either ways here's the first of his step by step guide we're looking at today.
Improving your Google rankings isn't easy especially these days when the competition is insanely fierce but Neil breaks doing this down in 6 easy steps. They are:
- Assess your current search ranking
- Track the right metrics
- Diagnose and analyze penalties
- Do keyword research
- Go after your keywords with great content
- Build links the right way
In this post you don't just get the steps listed out for you. The details on how to manually go about them is also outlined for you.
For example in step three which involves diagnosing and analyzing penalities your domain might have earned Neil mentions some tools to help you with it. Some of them includes Ahrefs and Majestic.
That's not all.
Neil also mentions tons of resources worth looking at including a link to a valuable SEO Guide on Moz and many others.
This post is absolutely worth it.
Unless you're Brian Dean, Founder of Backlinko you probably find link building somewhat stressful and hard especially if there's not much budget and you're lazy at least to an extent like me lol.
In this post, Neil teaches how to increase traffic from the search engines without having to build baacklinks. How incredible does this sound? And yes.. He say's it's possible.
First of all, He gets started by saying it's not all about links. Here are his words:
You’ll need to build a strong base or foundation for your site or blog. If you’re a WordPress blogger, you have a significant advantage because there are hundreds of plugins and tools you can use, and most of them are free (although some require a one-time investment or monthly subscription payment).
In this article Neil goes indepth about many factors that could help elevate your rankings like rich snippet optimization and pogo sticking which also means return-to-SERP.
He then went further to reveal some amazing strategies to increase your search traffic like:
- Writing about the latest news in your Industry - He went further in this point by explaining how about four companies including SEJ, SEroundtable, SEwatch and Moz are dominating the SERPs using this strategy.
- Creating Viral Infographics
- Writing long in-depth top list posts
- Upgrading Existing Contents to Build Your List
- Along side other wonderful resources to help you achieve your goal.
Till today this still stands among one of Neil Patel's best post about search engine optimization and increasing rankings.
Yes, this is one of my favorite articles and why? I first read it a few hours after it was published back then and it explains a lot starting from generating 20,000 monthly visitors through long tail keywords alone.
Neil went further by saying long-tail keyword phrases accounted for over 173,000 visitors to his website in the past years, a 91% increase which is not bad at all.
Just like we do others, lets break this one down: See what we're going to learn from this one.
To teach us exactly how to to do this, Neil breaks this article into four different topics and they are:
- How to research long-tail keywords
- Case studies on long-tail keywords
- Ranking elements for long-tail keywords
- Tools to help you pick the right long-tail keywords
Seeing these four points, You may be wondering. So it's this easy? Seeing case studies might be, Like Tresnic Media, A company that at that time increased their search traffic by almost 438% in just eight weeks.
But finding these valuable long-tail keywords, their ranking elements and picking the right long-tail keywords might not be that easy.
How to Generate 20,000 Monthly Visitors Through Long-Tail Search By @neilpatel
This is why this post by Neil Patel demystifies everything in more than 4000 words so you can have a clue on how to do this yourself.
As if all these is not enough, Neil links to resources you to help you on your quest to generating 20,000 visitors per month through long-tail keyword searches.
Looking for a way to write dashing copies that will please the search engines and humans at the same time? Then Neil has got you covered on this one.
It's a huge topic and since it came out has been heavily shared by people on different social media networks.
Neil takes this article from the scratch by defining SEO and spelling out the steps to proper search engine optimization which involves:
- You researching keywords
- Then picking a keyword and optimizing your website or a piece of content around that keyword.
- Then generating shares from people on social media networks and other websites.
And as usual this post is broken down into 7 main points which explains extensively:
- What is SEO?
- Understanding Copywriting
- What is SEO Copywriting?
- Elements of SEO Copywriting
- Writing Useful Content For People
- Keyword Research for Content Creation
- Copywriting – Getting People to Act
In this article Neil Patel also shares his SEO copywriting strategy and how to make people to take action on your contents. Lets not talk further! Go devour the whole post already.
This post has been shared on Facebook almost 3000 times and till today remains one of the best Neil Patel has ever written when it comes to Google and SEO.
This post is a complete break down of all Google's algorithm changes and how it affects your website's SERPs. From his words:
No SEO or content marketer can accurately predict what any future update will look like. Even some Google employees don’t understand everything that’s happening with the web’s most dominant search engine.
In a bid to identify clearly what all the Google algo changes are Neil starts by dedicating a section to overview the entire Google algorithm changes. In his words:
Before you can fully understand the impact of each individual algorithm update, you need to have a working knowledge of what a search engine algorithm is all about. The word “algorithm” refers to the logic-based, step-by-step procedure for solving a particular problem. In the case of a search engine, the problem is “how to find the most relevant webpages for this particular set of keywords (or search terms).” The algorithm is how Google finds, ranks, and returns the relevant results.
Then further deeper into the meat of the article which includes the following:
- The Core SEO Benefits of Google Algorithm Changes which involves Google's user-focus commitment, Improved rankings for in-depth content as backed by serpIQ, brand awareness and others.
Goes further by mentioning all the updates released by Google and their functions. In depth information on updates like Google Pengium, Google Panda update, Google Hummingbird Changes.
It contains videos as well to help you better understand Google updates like this one above from Ben. What can I say? This is a must for those looking to understand better what Google algorithm is all about.
Want to double your search traffic without elaborate efforts? Neil makes that ridiculously easy by revealing 10 advanced SEO techniques anyone can make use of really.
Here's why you might want to pay attention to these techniques. B2B Marketing tells us that every month, people use Google to conduct over 10.3 billion searches.
In the U.S, 78% of people online use the web to research products and services.
To make things fun-ner and reveal further the contents of this article. Neil says the first step to doubling your search traffic is Auditing your site framework. In his words:
In general terms, auditing is a systematic examination of an event, a result, a concept, or financial books in order to make smarter decisions.
And it matters when it comes to SEO. To break it down for you, Here are the advanced SEO techniques revealed in this article.
- Audit Your Site Framework
- Data Research Via End User Value
- Create More Optimized Landing Pages
- Make Your Site Responsive and Mobile-Friendly
- Double Your Infographic Power
- Implement Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI)
- Spy and Target Competitor’s Live Keywords
- Leverage Authoritative Social Platforms
- Deep Linking to Internal Pages
- Refresh Your Archive Pages
Behold, these advanced SEO techniques by Neil Patel explained for you. I feel pumped with knowledge taking a look at this article again.
Another breath-taking post by Neil Patel to help you rank among the top ten results for your desired keyword.
He has done it, Most of his posts rank on the first page for certain keywords. This makes him one of the most qualified person to write this kind of blog post.
This very piece has been shared over 2500 times across different social media networks and the step by step guide features five main points to writing blog posts that do well.
To get started with Neil mentions why you might want to blog as blogging consistently as Blogging is an inbound marketing strategy that truly works.
Here are the steps to write a blog post that ranks in Google as stated by Neil Patel.
- Step #1: Understand the Anatomy of Top 10 Blog Posts
- Step #2: Understand the Proven Blog Post On-Page SEO Process
- Step #3: Create Blog Posts Full of Practical Value
- Step #4: Use the AIDA Model to Captivate Your Audience
- Step #5: Building Inbound Links to Your Blog Posts
Easy peasy? If you want to write blog posts that ranks in Google top ten consistently then you might want to follow his steps.
Lets wrap it up with 17 SEO myths Neil Patel says you shouldn't follow. Since SEO is a very controversial topic discussed widely in almost every corner of the internet surely some opinions that are totally irrelevant could be aired.
It depends on you and only you to be able to sniff out the good from the bad. Without wasting time here are the 17 SEO myths Neil says you should never follow.
- Keyword targeting became irrelevant after Google Hummingbird
- Having an XML sitemap will boost your search rankings
- Meta tags don’t matter
- Top-level domains improve rankings
- Use meta robots tag to specify indexable pages
- Including a target keyword in anchor text no longer matters in SEO
- Google will find your fresh content and index it
- Hire an SEO agency to get top rankings fast
- Guest blogging is dead
- Keyword research is not necessary
- Paid search improves organic results
- Claiming your Google listings will increase your search traffic
- Google hates blackhat link building
- Long form content = top rankings
- Linking out to authority sites sends organic visitors away
- H1 tags are important elements that increase search rankings
- Social signal isn’t a ranking factor
You're probably wondering! Is this how Neil listed the myths? No. With everything broken down and backed with statistics and sources, You won't go wrong. It's one of the best.
SEO is probably one of the best and most profitable online marketing skill you could ever have.
Substantial knowledge of how the search engines work can open doors of many opportunities for you.
You may decide to create your own website and use your skills to grow it or just start a consulting business, an agency perhaps.
Eitherways these are the best Neil Patel SEO articles excluding the ones he wrote on the Quicksprout blog.
Tips on How to Get The Most out of These Articles?
Neil's guides are monstrous in sizes. They're mostly 4000 words up.
The best way I'll suggest to go about this is to pick them one after the other then fix into your calendar with a time to read each of the articles until you're done. Kapish?
Have you seen any of these articles before? Merely looking at the titles above! Which would you like to read first?
Lets see your answers in the comment section and do not forget to share 🙂